2012 was a fantastic year because thanks to your support, LHI was able to do incredible work and achieve impressive results. Thank you.
Our favorite stats from 2012:
- We awarded scholarships to 65 students in LHI’s Youth Development Program. These scholarships increase a family’s average income by 50%.
- Our students received more resources addressing their academic, emotional, and personal needs than ever before. We introduced 3 new support services:strengths-based one-on-one counseling sessions, end-of-year home visits with individual families, and life-skills workshops for youth and parents.
- 100% of our 12th graders graduated from high school. 77% of our youth entering high school in 2013 will attend schools outside of Chajul, receiving a higher quality education and greater breadth of experience than is available in their hometown.
- We provided LHI youth and their families with 2,300 hours of work through the Work to (L)earn and Sustainable Tourism programs.
- We doubled the size of our community library by acquiring, renovating, and equipping a new study room. The library now has 4,779 books and over 1,000 members.
- Our librarians welcomed 250 users weekly, providing them with literacy support, homework help, and a comfortable space to read and study.
- Librarians developed and implemented a vacation literacy program for library users, with an average of 85 kids attending every day.
Our wonderful team of volunteers sold 1,000+ handmade artisan products, raising $28,097 that will allow us to continue growing and improving our programs.
- Our artisan program tripled in size! We provided 50 LHI youth and mothers with a total of 10,969 hours of work at a fair wage.